Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal

Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 7: July 6th, Relaxing & Bethlehem


IMG_1813.JPG
Originally uploaded by Militiaoftheimmaculata
I love going to Bethlehem especially to go see some of the people there and some of the Churches. Most beautiful is a church called the Milk Grotto, you can see some pictures in my Holy Land set. The city is not small, but not large, about 100,000 people yet it has lost a lot of its flair due to the wall that has been set between Bethlehem and Jerusalem. Business is down even though there are many pilgrims going the the Nativity Church. This pictures shows you one of the first pictures I took of the entrance to where Jesus was born. I have gotten close but not actually been able to visit and kiss the famous "star" that marks the spot where they believe he was born.

So how do I get to Bethlehem? I walk out of Tantur, and go down through the olive tree field to a great big wall that was built in 2002. I go through 3 checkpoints where they scan or make sure I have my passport. Then I get harassed by 10 men who want to take me on a Taxi to 'Nativity Square'. Sometimes I chose just to walk, which is 30 minutes with plenty of hills. You get there and you can see the Church, a mosque, some stores, some small restaurants, and a simple plaza. The city isn't overly beautiful, but it has great personality.

Tonight was the first night that I went out onto Bethlehem. I will have to tell you more about it. Wait until you hear about Day 8!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment