Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal

Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 11: July 10, The Wailing Wall & Holy Sepulchre


IMG_0279.JPG
Originally uploaded by Militiaoftheimmaculata
I want to talk about two different experiences that I had at the holiest sites for 2 religions. The Wailing Wall or the western wall has significance in Judaism because it is one of the remaining walls for the Old Jewish Temple. The temple was where they sacrificed animals to God in order to enter into relationship with Him, to atone for sin and simply to eat with God. You see me putting my hand on the western wall. Now it is a place where Jews come to pray the Old Testament or Torah, and to pray for a revival of ancient Jerusalem. It seems that they are praying so that God may restore Israel to its formal Glory. I went there once to pray but also on a Friday nigh which is the beginning of their 'sabbath'. They celebrate the beginning of this day of rest by vocal prayers, dancing around, wearing their traditional suits and hats, and offering prayers at the wall. It is quite an experience to see this in person, it feels like you are at a club with 1000 radical Jewish men. "Fun" would be one way to describe it, unfortunately I did not take any pictures.

The other experience was being able to spend the night in the Holy Sepulchre, the place where Jesus was crucified, died, was buried, and resurrected. I stayed there with some friends from 12 midnight until 3am. My absolute favorite spot, even though I was very tired while I was there was the spot of the crucifixion, Golgotha. The people here are incredible at keeping traditions of where things happen, and the hill was a stone quarry and they actually excavated the physical location where he was crucified. You can still see the massive stone hill and even a deep crack in it to show that an earthquake did occur after Jesus died. What was most impressive for me, was being able to pray in that holy space, but also seeing how other people showed their religious devotion. There were many people from Russia who were Orthodox, and so had many elaborate ways of showing their love for God.

Not only were these two experiences religious but they were also observing and studying the way different people have a relationship with God.

I am praying for all of you, continue to pray that I remain safe and enjoy the time that I have here.

No comments:

Post a Comment