Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal

Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 12: July 11, Mass and the Tent


I am actually writing this from Galilee and so I am trying to remember what I did on this Sunday.  This was the day after the stay in the Holy Sepulchre.  It was very very tiring, because we went to bed at 4 am and then I woke up, (my guardian angel woke me up) and I found out that the only mass was at 11 am.  We all paid about 20 dollars to take a taxi to a French monastery where they had a very simple mass.  It was a Trappist monastery where I had to say that I found the most friendly and joyful monks that I have seen in the Holy Land. 

The rest of the day I spent doing laundry and just enjoying the beautifully hot weather.  The evening and night were really the highlight of the day.  The ten is this restaurant that looks like you are at a Mediterranean wedding.  The roof of the restaurant is indeed a tent it just so happened to be the finals between Spain and Holland, so the entire restaurant was very much full of people cheering both teams on.  We went to the tent, 5 of us: Elizabeth from the US, a family of 3 Australians (Terry, Bernadette, and Caitie), and I.  We all have become quite good friends as we have similar senses of humor and you will find them in my pictures.  Caitie, is the very very short girl although she is really 23 years old. 

We ordered "salads" and to our surprise received around 12 plates of different vegetables similar to the vegetables that you will get at a Korean restaurant.  This includes hummus, baba ghanough, cole slaw, potatoes, cucumbers & tomatoes, and more things that I cannot even name. We also ate some stuffed meat pies with the most delicious pita bread, hot and soft.  To finish it off, we had some very good local beer, I believe it's called Tabeyah in case you want to look it up online. 

Overall, it was a tremendous finish to our first week and a half in Jerusalem.  One we go in our bus to the beautiful Sea of Galilee and the city of Tiberias!!

No comments:

Post a Comment