Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal

Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 18: July 17, Blessed Miriam, the Mosque and Partying


IMG_0581.JPG
Originally uploaded by Militiaoftheimmaculata
So what am I really doing on this trip. I am visiting Catholic holy sites, visiting other religions, and having a lot of fun!!

Let me tell you about Bl. Miriam of the Crucified Jesus, or "the little Arab" as the like to call her. She is one of a few Palestinian Christians who joined the Carmelites and then later became a great mystic and saint. I went to go visit the Carmel where she lived in Bethlehem and was able to pray with the very cloak that she used to wear. I also was able to pray in front of her relics and speak with a young girl there who is discerning to enter the religious community. First of all, the convent was beautiful. Secondly, I was so impressed with being able to pray with the cloak that she used to wear, which I did for at least 15 minutes. Thirdly, I was able to pray with her, a local saint amidst the other religions. It was so amazing, in fact, that I have decided to go back at least several times to really let her "soak in". I also bought a book on her, which I have really very much enjoyed and it has helped me get closer to her and God. If you didn't know, I was helped in my conversion by the Carmelites, specifically, the writings of St. Teresa of Avila, and so it is great to meet another of their wonderful saints.

Later that night, we went to a Mosque for night prayers, which was a tremendous experience. I wasn't able to take many pictures, but the picture you see is me in front of the area where they preach. It was a bit weird for me to be honest, because I never know how tense or relaxed the situation is. You can understand that relations between Jews, Christians, and Muslims have not always been wonderful and so there is always room for growth. I was glad to be at the mosque, but it especially made me thankful that I am Catholic. There may be wonderful things about Islam,there really indeed are, but I simply think we have a Gold mine in the Catholic faith, especially in our saints, like Bl. Miriam. One thing of interest is that they women had to wear veils and ankle length skirts, which they actually did not mind wearing because they were so interested in seeing how they prayed.

So as the bus was leaving, we asked to be dropped in the 'Old City' so that my dear friends Elizabeth and Caitie could go out and have some fun. They have become like sisters to me and so you will see many pictures of them on flickr.com
We went to this great shopping area called Mamilla, which remained open until around 11pm and then we found this wine, dessert, and chocolate bar where we just laughed, had wine, and talked about all the fun things that we have done so far. It is days like today that make me so thankful for God allowing me to be here.

Let me tell you, Jerusalem isn't easy to be in at first, but after a few days, it really starts to open up to you! Keep reading my blog and God bless you!!!

1 comment:

  1. WISH YOU ALL THE BEST FOR YOU IN YOUR PERSONAL AND SPIRITUAL LIFE TAKE CARE AND TRY TO LEARN THE MOST IN THIS TRIP TO HOLLY LAND .

    REGARDS

    TIO JORGE

    ReplyDelete